Sunday, November 21, 2010

...First Post: What to Write?

Well, what to write...what to write. I guess I could just write about how there's nothing to write about, but I figure that that's not going to get me many followers. In this age of technology, it's easier than ever to write, but the problem is, what about? If I haven't done anything within the last 24 hours, I could always make my Facebook status some Top 40 song lyrics, or some really super cool video that I found on YouTube. If I want to be really bold and daring, then I could even talk about some sports score from earlier in the day. But seriously, in this age of Jersey Shore and Gossip Girl, an age of tanned Italiantechnomusicplaying Americans and Upper East/West Side Blackberry-wielding debutantes, there seems to be no place for substantive writing. People don't want to write. They never have. What they want to do is just show the world that they have done something "super interesting and out of the ordinary," be it on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. That's why stores like American Apparel and Urban Outfitters have thrived. People want to be different. It's a fact of life. That's why that kid in your class is wearing those rectangular glasses that in 1980 would have been the epitome of dweeb. He wants to be hipster, eccentric, off beat, whatever. The only problem is, if everyone is different, then everyone might as well be the same. Different is a relative term, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment